Herzlich Willkommen auf der Website der Stadt Schweinfurt!
|Photo: Hans Hatos
As the city became a bone of contention between the prince-bishop in Würzburg and earls of Henneberg in the middle of the 13th century, heavy devastation resulted, which is known as the First City Ruination.
After the reconstruction, King Rudolf von Habsburg confirmed Schweinfurt’s status of imperial freedom in 1282. In the decades to come, all of the attempts from Würzburg and the Hennebergers to annexe the city into their own sphere of control also faltered.
As the only Free Imperial City in Lower Franconia, Schweinfurt repeatedly retained new rights and preserved its sovereignty. The city converted to Protestantism in the middle of the 16th century. This was a daring step indeed, the inhabitants were surrounded by the Catholic territories of the Würzburg prince-bishop.
In 1554, a terrible war waged by Margrave Albrecht Alcibiades von Brandenburg-Kulmbach against the supreme religious foundations in Bamberg and Würzburg as well as the imperial city Nuremberg led to the complete devastation of the uninvolved City of Schweinfurt (Second City Ruination).
Only the Napoleonic reorganization of Europe in 1814 led to the loss of Schweinfurt’s independence. The city has belonged to Bavaria since that time. The fact that Schweinfurt did not suffer the fate of many other former free imperial cities is particularly due to the Schweinfurt inventors in the 19th century and the self-assured citizenry. They paved the way for Schweinfurt to rapidly become an important industrial city. A new chapter in the history of the city was opened.
Schweinfurt’s historical dates
791 First documentary mention of the name Schweinfurt
1234 First mention as imperial city
1240/50 Devastation of the city during disputes between the earls of Henneberg and the Würzburg prince-bishop (First City Ruination)
1554 Devastation of the city in the Margrave War (Second City Ruination)
1625/50 Repeated occupation in the 30 Years War through Swedish and imperial troops
1652 The first of its kind, the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina was founded in 1652 in Schweinfurt by four Schweinfurt physicians, Drs. Bausch, Fehr, Wohlfahrth and Metzger (Leopoldina, Nationale Akademie der Wissenschaften)
1788 Friedrich Rückert, famous German poet and important Oriental languages translator, is born in Schweinfurt.
1802 Loss of imperial freedom; the city becomes a part of Bavaria.
1883 Birth of the ball bearing industry
Schweinfurt's recent history
|The industrial city Schweinfurt is heavily devastated in the Second World War
|The Carus Prize, awarded by the Academy of Natural Sciences Leopoldina, is given for the first time by the City of Schweinfurt
|Opening of the Elk Natural Wildlife Park An den Eichen
|Inauguration of the Schweinfurt City Theatre
|Opening of the Technical University
|Opening of Leopoldina Medical Center
|Serious structural crisis in the large-scale industry
|Beginning of extensive measures for overcoming the structural crisis
|Opening of Maintal Technology and Industrial Park
|Opening of the Georg Schäfer Museum
|Construction of the Main River Island Conference and Hotel Center
|Opening of the art Gallery Kunsthalle
|Opening of the Schweinfurt shopping mall
|Inauguration of the new Campus II of the University of Applied Sciences
|Announcement of the US-Army's withdrawal
|Bavarian state exhibition Main und Meer (Main and Sea)
|Opening of the Wissenswerkstatt (Knowledge-Workshop)
|Withdrawal of the US-Army
|Opening of the Health Center
|Purchase of Ledward Barracks by the city
|Commitment of the Free State of Bavaria: Ledward will become i-Campus (FHWS).
|Opening of the reception center for refugees and asylum seekers
|Purchase of Kessler Field, Yorktown Village and Askren Manor by the city
|Opening of the International School Mainfranken on Kessler Field
|Friedrich Rückert: 150 year commemoration of anniversary death
|Start of construction on the college campus
|Start of demolition in Askren Manor